• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schedule D Reconciliation with 1099B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeterAndrew

What is the name of your state? California
I received a 1099-B which includes several items listed as "Return of Principal" as well as several items which refer to a full call on various municipal bonds. I realize that if my basis is reduced by return of principal, I will have to report a larger gain (or lesser loss) if I sell. But I didn't actually sell any of these securities. I am just concerned that if I omit these items from my Schedule D, the IRS may believe I am not reporting capital gains accurately. Does the IRS look at the 1099-B's and note that return of principal and calls on bonds don't equate to capital gains? Or should I list the returns of principal and bond calls and then zero them out by claiming the same as my basis? Or attach a note to my return?

Snipes5

List them as returns of capital, and adjust your bases as indicated.

Yes, the IRS does receive and note this information.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">