• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schedule E or Schedule C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihot

What is the name of your state? CA
Hi,
I rent a room (in my home) out to my Corporation who uses it for its home office. My Corp gives my wife a 1099misc. I was told my wife had to file a Schedule E and report her rent income there. Is that adviseable? Or should we try to report it under Schedule C? She is a homemaker (we are just trying to claim home office for our Corp).

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA
Hi,
I rent a room (in my home) out to my Corporation who uses it for its home office. My Corp gives my wife a 1099misc. I was told my wife had to file a Schedule E and report her rent income there. Is that adviseable? Or should we try to report it under Schedule C? She is a homemaker (we are just trying to claim home office for our Corp).
If you are reporting it properly on the 1099 misc...it would be schedule E.

ihot

can I sublease a room in townhouse I leased

Hi,
1) I leased a townhouse for my home. Can my wife sublease one of the rooms to my S corporation (for its office) and charge rent to my S Corporation?

Assuming the answer to the above scenario is "Yes", then....
2) Technically, wife does not have depreciation to report (as we do not own this townhouse). How then can my wife report depreciation when she files that rent income in Schedule E's Rent Received (line 3)? I think IRS requires that I report depreciation.
:confused:

abezon

There's no 'technically' about it. You cannot depreciate something you do not own. Nor may the IRS require you to depreciate a condo you don't own. If it did, the condo would be double-depreciated -- once by the owner & once by your wife. Your wife is not the owner, she is a tenant who is sub-leasing. No depreciation allowed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">