• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second Home for Work while family in first

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philruffin

What is the name of your state? TX
I moved across the state last year, and my family stayed behind to graduate my son from high school and to prepare the house for sale.
During the 7-month period, I drove back and forth frequently, moving my furniture and other belongings gradually.
In the tax program I bought, it appears that all I can deduct for moving is car mileage one way at $.14 per mile.
Is there another way to account for the expense that will allow a more generous deduction?

Snipes5

philruffin said:
What is the name of your state? TX
I moved across the state last year, and my family stayed behind to graduate my son from high school and to prepare the house for sale.
During the 7-month period, I drove back and forth frequently, moving my furniture and other belongings gradually.
In the tax program I bought, it appears that all I can deduct for moving is car mileage one way at $.14 per mile.
Is there another way to account for the expense that will allow a more generous deduction?
For moving expenses, you can deduct 30 days storage, mileage, lodging if you had to spend the night enroute, packing materials, and moving van or trailer used to haul your stuff.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">