• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sell stocks to reinvest in startup business tax consequences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandonlaundry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I'm planning on selling 15k of stock that I've owned for a long time in order to invest into a startup business but I'm concerned about the tax implications. Is there a way to offset capital gains taxes by investing in this new business? Basically I'm trading an investment for an investment. Thanks.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I'm planning on selling 15k of stock that I've owned for a long time in order to invest into a startup business but I'm concerned about the tax implications. Is there a way to offset capital gains taxes by investing in this new business? Basically I'm trading an investment for an investment. Thanks.
Short answer, no. Long answer, no.

FlyingRon

There's no 1031 exchange for stocks/bonds. In fact, if you're asking now, you're probably already screwed. The long term gains treatment this year is terrible. The stocks for business wouldn't even be a like kind investment.

tranquility

While calling it an "investment" for an "investment" may be clever, they are hardly like-kind properties eligible for a tax-free exchange. Also, you have the problem that stock is specifically excluded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">