• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

april520

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I just recently built a house and am having to sell due to divorce. I heard that if you haven't lived in the house for 2 years and sell it then you have to pay capital gains taxes when you sell. Is this true?

jkruler

Yes, you will have to pay capital gains on the profit, but if you just built the house it most likely will not have appreciated much.

Snipes5

Actually not true.

You will probably be able to claim a "reduced exclusion". For info on what that is, search the old posts in this forum, I gave a lengthy explanation not too long ago.

A divorce is considered one of the allowable circumstances for claiming a reduced exclusion. You will be able to exclude gain based on the number of months you lived in and owned the house, as a proration on the total exclusion amount of $250,000 per individual/$500,000 per married couple.

Snipes

jkruler

Snipes5 said:
Actually not true.

You will probably be able to claim a "reduced exclusion". For info on what that is, search the old posts in this forum, I gave a lengthy explanation not too long ago.

A divorce is considered one of the allowable circumstances for claiming a reduced exclusion. You will be able to exclude gain based on the number of months you lived in and owned the house, as a proration on the total exclusion amount of $250,000 per individual/$500,000 per married couple.

Snipes
I'm sorry, Snipes is correct, I read the post quickly and missed the "divorce" part--this is what happens when I post at 2:45 in the morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">