• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling house to family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eblover

What is the name of your state? NYS

My father is buying my home from me and I am rolling the profits into building another home within the same township. What kind of paperwork do I need to have for tax purposes? I know how to file change of ownership forms with my county for property taxes, but I was wondering if I am responsible to pay taxes on the profits if I am rolling that $$ over to a new home. Any advice will be appreciated!

abezon

You can't avoid taxes by rolling profits from your personal home into a new home. That law was changed in 1997. Now, you can exclude from income up to $250,000 of profits from the sale of your home altogether, if you owned and lived in the home as your primary residence for 2 of the 5 years prior to sale. If you do not meet the 2 of 5 year test, you must pay taxes on all profits, unless you meet the exceptions for a reduced exclusion rate.

The only other issue might be gift tax return filing if you sell to dad at below market rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">