• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling rental property - expense appliances?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indelible

Hello, I had a rental property that I sold on 6/30/14; the tenant moved out on 12/31/13. During that 6 month period I cleaned up the house and got a new stove, refrigerator, and microwave at the suggestion of the RE agent, to make the house more desirable to buyers.

Can I expense the new appliances or do I have to depreciate them? I bought them in April 2014.

Thanks!

FlyingRon

Well, if you were going to consider it an improvement to the rental, you'd have to depreciate, but since you sold that you could accelerate it.

However, since you really bought this for the purpose of selling the property, you'd just add it to the basis and thus decrease the potential capital gain.

davew128

Well, if you were going to consider it an improvement to the rental, you'd have to depreciate, but since you sold that you could accelerate it.

However, since you really bought this for the purpose of selling the property, you'd just add it to the basis and thus decrease the potential capital gain.
I would direct you to the recently enacted repair regulations. Most people I know wouldn't even hesitate to expense this stuff.

LdiJ

I would direct you to the recently enacted repair regulations. Most people I know wouldn't even hesitate to expense this stuff.
The house wasn't available for rent at all in 2014, I can't see any other way to handle it but to add the cost to basis.

indelible

ok, thanks. I will increase the basis.

If the tenant didn't move out until some time in January 2014, would I still increase the basis even though they weren't renting the place when the appliances were installed?

Last edited:

LdiJ

ok, thanks. I will increase the basis.

If the tenant didn't move out until some time in January 2014, would I still increase the basis since they weren't renting the place when the appliances were installed?
In my opinion, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">