• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated - Spouse filed Federal return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Treesgal1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am currently separated from my husband - he is living in AZ and I moved back to PA. I requested a copy of 2007's IRS tax return and see that he filed "Married - Joint". I did not sign the return, was not aware of it at all. Also for this year I will request the 2008, and he's probably done the same thing. Is there anything I can do? Obviously I have not received any stimulus money that he has received. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am currently separated from my husband - he is living in AZ and I moved back to PA. I requested a copy of 2007's IRS tax return and see that he filed "Married - Joint". I did not sign the return, was not aware of it at all. Also for this year I will request the 2008, and he's probably done the same thing. Is there anything I can do? Obviously I have not received any stimulus money that he has received. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Do you have any income at all? You could always file a "married filing separately" return for both years, which would get the original joint return investigated.

However, if you are going to be divorcing you should discuss the issue with your attorney first. Your husband absolutely should not have filed a joint return without your signature or approval, but if he ends up owing the IRS (which he will) that might end up being a marital debt.

However if you have income that was not included on the joint return, then you absolutely should file a separate return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">