• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served Papers Yesterday.. Property Tax - Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TX-Div

I was served papers on my doorstep yesterday. I am being sued for back property taxes for a home from a marriage that has been over for 6 years.
Facts:
My name is on the Title of the Home, but I was not present at the closing, I did not sign the mortgage contract, and my x-husband did not have power of attorney for me.

I was awarded the home in our divorce in 2001 because I was in college and could not afford an attorney and did not fight him (too hard).

He moved back into the home via verbal agreement within 6 months of our divorce. He knew I couldn't afford it, and I wasn't living there, as my school was over an hour away.

He lived there for a year or two, until he learned I was dating again, then abandoned the home, did not pay taxes, or mortgage. I learned of this when I received the forwarded bills in the mail.

I tried to sell it, but had no luck, so rented it for the past 5 years. My tenants stiffed me, and I evicted them. After trying to sell it again for the past 6 months, I decided to let it go back. I have tried for 6 years to keep my credit up, but now, I am tired and let it go. I did a background search and found/contacted the x-husband to let him know, in case he wanted to save his own credit since his name is the buyer and I am the co-buyer. He declined. So the home is in some stage of foreclosure. Now, I (along with X and mortgage company) am being sued for back taxes.

What are my options? What will this do to me? I already planned on a major credit hit due to letting the home go, but can this affect my car, business, etc?

I am just trying to prepare for the future events. I have 10 days to respond, and I have no idea what to do.

FlyingRon

My name is on the Title of the Home, but I was not present at the closing, I did not sign the mortgage contract, and my x-husband did not have power of attorney for me.

I was awarded the home in our divorce in 2001 because I was in college and could not afford an attorney and did not fight him (too hard).
All it takes is your ex to title it over to you. The lawyer in the divorce probably did it as a matter of course. From that point on, you were the owner and liable for the taxes.

You'll need to provide details on the mortgage though. Is your name on the mortgage? How did it get there?

I am just trying to prepare for the future events. I have 10 days to respond, and I have no idea what to do.
Foreclosure isn't going to erase the tax obligation. You need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">