• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jinj

New York

My landlord wanted to demolish the building I was living in so that he could build a high rise apartment building. We agreed on an amount which I then used towards a down payment for my current apartment. Do I need to pay tax on this amount and if so, where do I report it?

LdiJ

jinj said:
New York

My landlord wanted to demolish the building I was living in so that he could build a high rise apartment building. We agreed on an amount which I then used towards a down payment for my current apartment. Do I need to pay tax on this amount and if so, where do I report it?
Did you have any ownership interest in your previous apartment?

jinj

New York

No I didn't. It was just a rental. Basically he bought my rights as a tenant so that he didn't have to give me a new lease since it was a rent stabilized apartment.

Last edited:

LdiJ

jinj said:
New York

No I didn't. It was just a rental. Basically he bought my rights as a tenant so that he didn't have to give me a new lease since it was a rent stabilized apartment.
Sounds to me like it qualifies as income. However, I would like to see what opinions other's might have.

abezon

From pub 544:

"Cancellation of a lease. Payments received by a tenant for the cancellation of a lease are treated as an amount realized from the sale of property. Payments received by a landlord (lessor) for the cancellation of a lease are essentially a substitute for rental payments and are taxed as ordinary income in the year in which they are received."

Report the sale on Sch.D.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">