• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She Stole my exemption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigone41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in nc me and my ex signed a seperation agreement stating i would carry my son for the next 3 years she filed him anyway and the irs rejected my return i filed a form 3449 a reporting it what will happen to her if anything ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in nc me and my ex signed a seperation agreement stating i would carry my son for the next 3 years she filed him anyway and the irs rejected my return i filed a form 3449 a reporting it what will happen to her if anything ?
Nothing will happen to her based on your report to the IRS. She properly claimed the exemption.

Antigone*

Who has custody of your son? Did she sign a form 8332 allowing you to claim the exemption?

Antigone*

Based on his other posts, I assumed (not ASSumed...assumed) that he's the NCP. Also, based on THIS post, OP did not receive the signed 8332.
Just pointing out it...;) Sometimes they need to see it in black and white in order to believe it.

The other posters are right. Based on IRS rules she would have the right to claim exemptions, etc. because she is the custodial parent (according to IRS and court order -- IRS defines this slightly differently based on actual physical custody of child). People tend to think because they have a court order that says that they can claim a child that they can w/o regards to IRS rules. No court order is going to be an excuse for filing your taxes wrong. If you are unsure how to file, seek out a tax professional.

If you are the custodial parent (by IRS standards) you can within the rules:
1) claim the exemption
2) claim the EIC
3) claim the Childcare credit
4) claim the Child Tax Credit (and Additional Child Tax Credit as applicable)

If you are not, then you can claim the following but only with a signed Form 8332 by the custodial parent:
1) claim the exemption
2) claim the Child Tax Credit (and Additional Child Tax Credit as applicable)

Now keep in mind this a simplified version of the requirements but if you're unsure how to properly claim credits and exemptions after a divorce, seek professional tax advice.

Last edited:

davew128

Because the OP has been waiting breathlessly for the last six weeks for you to post and confirm what was already stated....:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">