• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Capital Gains On Real Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

travise

What is the name of your state? MONTANA
I just bought a house and fourteen acres this month. This spring i plan on subdeviding and selling off two or three lots. Since I am keeping my house and some of the land how will the sale of the land effect me.

How do i KNOW WHAT CAPITAL GAINS WILL BE CHARGED

thanks Travis

seniorjudge

Travis, to find out how this will affect you, you should ask your tax preparer.

(Stand by for someone with tax knowledge who may give you general info.)

abezon

The you will surely screw it up, as Turbo Tax's "interview process" is no substitute for knowing what you're doing. In fact, tax software is a great way to go wrong with confidence.

On the other hand, you could pay someone to advise you on the tax implications of the short plat and call it a cost of sale or add it to basis. "What's basis?" you ask? The reason you should hire someone who knows what they're doing!

seniorjudge

abezon said:
The you will surely screw it up, as Turbo Tax's "interview process" is no substitute for knowing what you're doing. In fact, tax software is a great way to go wrong with confidence.

On the other hand, you could pay someone to advise you on the tax implications of the short plat and call it a cost of sale or add it to basis. "What's basis?" you ask? The reason you should hire someone who knows what they're doing!
In fact, tax software is a great way to go wrong with confidence.

Plan on having this quote stolen from you by me.

abezon

Feel free -- I stole it myself & adapt it to the situation. The original is "Logic: a great way to go wrong with confidence."

Works equally well for Quicken, a program that helps people who know nothing about accounting or bookkeeping to turn their records into a spaghetti mess that costs twice as much to straighten out as it would have cost to hire a pro in the first place. GIGO!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">