• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short year corporate return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

09startup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently formed a corporation for a new business. The entity was incorporated 15 days before my preferred fiscal year ending date, but didn't actually do any business until after that. Do I need to file a return for a "short year" of only 15 days? What would I put on it? The costs of incorporation were paid personally and not yet reimbursed by the corporation during that timeframe. There were no other expenses and no income during that timeframe.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently formed a corporation for a new business. The entity was incorporated 15 days before my preferred fiscal year ending date, but didn't actually do any business until after that. Do I need to file a return for a "short year" of only 15 days? What would I put on it? The costs of incorporation were paid personally and not yet reimbursed by the corporation during that timeframe. There were no other expenses and no income during that timeframe.
If you did not engage in any business prior to the start of your fiscal year, then don't worry about the 15 days. The IRS won't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">