• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I send certified?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have to send my reply back to the IRS for a tax notice that I received. Long story short, a fired payroll company sent w2s and w3s to the IRS/ SSA for partial year payroll. The new company had sent out w2s and w3s based on the whole year. Fired company (for a good reason at this point) totally hosed 43 employees.

Looks like I was one of the first to get the notice and figured out what happened. Per my conversation with the IRS, I had to send them a letter on company letterhead explaining that I did not owe any additional funds. I now have said letter.

My question is: should I send this out CRRR or will I be okay sending it out as is? I plan on scanning all the paperwork that is sent out for my files.

tranquility

The value of certified is the tracking. Proving what was inside is always difficult and a return receipt is not necessary. In fact, special handling comes if a receipt is required and it is more likely an error will not be corrected as quickly as to if you just sent the letter by 1st class mail.

TinkerBelleLuvr

That's kind of what I've figured. The state of Florida has difficulty comprehending the dates of postmarks with my sales tax, so wasn't sure.

Guess I'll just go post it.

FlyingRon

The value of certified is the tracking. Proving what was inside is always difficult and a return receipt is not necessary. In fact, special handling comes if a receipt is required and it is more likely an error will not be corrected as quickly as to if you just sent the letter by 1st class mail.
Certified doesn't provide tracking just receipt of mailing and delivery. If you want tracking all the way, it needs to be registered.

You'll get plenty of notice if your filing got lost. Keep copies.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I sent it out already first class. I don't owe them money; a payroll company screwed up and the employer is refiling w2s and w3s for all the employees (me plus 42 more) who were involved. I just happened to be the first person to get the notice.

I just worried about it since the State of Florida are dummies. They'll send you a notice that you sent something late. You tell them to look at the postmark and they go, "oh, you did send it out on time." ... I now electronically file, but I've had that go around enough times with them.

LdiJ

I sent it out already first class. I don't owe them money; a payroll company screwed up and the employer is refiling w2s and w3s for all the employees (me plus 42 more) who were involved. I just happened to be the first person to get the notice.

I just worried about it since the State of Florida are dummies. They'll send you a notice that you sent something late. You tell them to look at the postmark and they go, "oh, you did send it out on time." ... I now electronically file, but I've had that go around enough times with them.
The State of Indiana is equal in dumminess...sigh.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">