• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single or married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DTinSTL

What is the name of your state? Missouri

In 2004 I was a full time student under the age of 24, living in my parents home. I moved out of their home in December 2004 and then got married on January 1st 2005.

My parents have always claimed me as their dependant.

Since I am now married, but only for a few weeks, should I file my 2004 taxes as single or married? (or married filing seperatly?) And what about my new wife?

Also, can my parents still claim me as their dependant?

Thanks for any info on this!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DTinSTL said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

In 2004 I was a full time student under the age of 24, living in my parents home. I moved out of their home in December 2004 and then got married on January 1st 2005.

My parents have always claimed me as their dependant.

Since I am now married, but only for a few weeks, should I file my 2004 taxes as single or married? (or married filing seperatly?) And what about my new wife?

Also, can my parents still claim me as their dependant?

Thanks for any info on this!

My response:

And people actually wonder why I refer to Missouri as the "Duh, yup" State.

IAAL

DTinSTL

Real cute ~ but that doesn't answer any of the questions.
Too bad we can't all be as smart as you!
If you don't like answering ?'s why bother.
Just trying to get everything right the first time around.
I always heard that there are no dumb questions, how did you get to be so smart if you didn't get your questions answered?

thanks for nothing

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, you just proved the old adage was wrong. There are, in fact, stupid questions. By asking yours, it's obvious you should never have married.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">