• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single Member LLC and distributions to a member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdakota

Hello,

I'm under a single-member LLC (pass-through taxation - disregarded entity). I file a form 1040 + Shedule C (Profit or Loss From Business). I want to take money out from a business this year (make distribution to myself from profit).

My question is: Will the distribution be considered as dividends for tax purpose? Do I have to show it on 1040 and pay an additional tax from the dividents? If yes, seems like double taxation, that is a disadvantage of an LLC

Please advice,
Thank you,
Mark.

tranquility

I don't understand what you are asking. But, if your question is, is the money I take out of the LLC's account considered a dividend, the answer is no.

LdiJ

Hello,

I'm under a single-member LLC (pass-through taxation - disregarded entity). I file a form 1040 + Shedule C (Profit or Loss From Business). I want to take money out from a business this year (make distribution to myself from profit).

My question is: Will the distribution be considered as dividends for tax purpose? Do I have to show it on 1040 and pay an additional tax from the dividents? If yes, seems like double taxation, that is a disadvantage of an LLC

Please advice,
Thank you,
Mark.
You have already paid the full tax on the profits. Whether you choose to take money out of the business account, for your own purposes, or leave it there for the business, is irrelevant.

mdakota

Thanks for your answers very much ;-) It's clear for me now. May I ask you additional questions?

1) As far as know, anyway, I have to make accounting records when I take money out from a business and draw up a document reflecting the business transaction. Isn't it?

2) Am I right that I'm not responsible personally for debts of LLC?

3) An LLC is responsible for debts within only the limits of the amount that remained in a business (after withdrawing some part of money from a business). Isn't it?

Thanks again.

tranquility

Maybe. While the goal of having an LLC is asset protection, as to if you actually get that protection depends on the facts.

Kiawah

So your intention is to take profits out of the LLC, and then not have money to pay the debts/liabilities of the LLC?????

Nice try

davew128

Thanks for your answers very much ;-) It's clear for me now. May I ask you additional questions?

1) As far as know, anyway, I have to make accounting records when I take money out from a business and draw up a document reflecting the business transaction. Isn't it?
Not for income tax purposes although a good idea.

No way of knowing from what you've posted. That's between the lender, you, and the LLC. And yes, it IS material to the tax return if you are not responsible for the LLCs debts.

3) An LLC is responsible for debts within only the limits of the amount that remained in a business (after withdrawing some part of money from a business). Isn't it?
I have no idea what this means.

LdiJ

You would want to note in your books the that money was a distribution.

Not necessarily. Its fairly frequent for creditors to require personal guarantees when giving credit to a small business. Most likely you did give some of the creditors personal guarantees, even if you don't remember it now.

Thanks again.
You should only be withdrawing previously earned profits. If you have previously earned 50k that you paid tax on, but did not withdraw, then that's not a problem. If you previously earned 50k that you paid tax on, but withdraw 100k, somebody is going to have something to say about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">