• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For Snipes 5

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jda

Florida. Thanks for your help with my earlier question on 1/7 re: whether to file an OIC or not. Some additional info. I have been advised of this debt since early in the game. I have heard from them possibly three times since the debt was incurred ten years ago. I visited my local IRS office a year or so ago and after much trying to get me to make monthly payments and my protests of no significant income they reluctantly gave me an OIC form. Though income has been a problem, I am now about to embark on a joint venture with an LLC. This should provide a significant increase in income and I thought that I might try to settle before this became a reality. I am to sign the LLC papers this week. Still see an Enrolled Agent? Any recommendations? I am assuming an Enrolled Agent is an Attorney. Thank you so much for your time. This is a fantastic service to those of us facing the big bad wolf!
JD

Snipes5

Yes, still see an Enrolled Agent. An Enrolled Agent is not an Attorney. An Enrolled Agent is someone who has passed an eleven hour IRS exam, and a background check. An Enrolled Agent is also required to take a minimum of 24 credits of continuing education each year.

An Enrolled Agent can represent you in any proceeding before the IRS, with one exception. An Enrolled Agent may not represent you in actual Tax Court. For that, you need an Attorney.

In your case, tax court is not a factor. You need the advice of a competent EA who can look at all the details of your situation, tell you what to do, and help you do it.

Oh, and an EA will cost you about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of an Attorney.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">