• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Secuirty Survivor Benefits/Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gakim

What is the name of your state? GA

My x-husband died I applied for SS survivor benefits for my 3 minor children and was turned down. My children were adopted several years ago but the x left with a 15000.00+ child support arrearage at the time of the adoption. Child support enforcement was in the process of trying to recover the back child support since he was recently released from jail but overdosed and died shortly thereafter. Social Security benefit agent told me had child support actually collected some of the arrearage since his release from jail she probably would have granted survivor benefits. (There are no other claims for survivor benefits to other children or spouse)

Are there any laws which would help me successfully appeal the denial of benefits. Any information would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">