• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Buy Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbham

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
If I buy back previously paid social security benefits- can I file amended returns for the years affected in order to get a refund of federal taxes paid on the social security benefits? Pub. 915 seems to indicate that one has to take a Misc. Itemized deduction for the whole amount even if it's a buy back that spanned several years. This (even as a credit) isn't as advantageous as filing individual amended returns for each of the years. Help??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dbham

The Pub is right. You can't amend PRIOR years for a transaction that happened THIS year.
So...what is the best way to account for the transaction? Can I get a tax credit? And would it be refundable or would it just reduce my current tax to zero? It seems that I'm going to lose out on getting back the taxes I paid on the social security income that I am now re-paying.:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">