• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security, Medicare, and CA VPDI Paid by Non-Residents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bereedcpa

This question pertains to US, California, and Non-Resident tax payers required to file 1040NR.

An entertainer from the UK played in Los Angeles and received a W-2 for this performance. They had the following withholdings.
1. Federal
2. Social Security
3. Medicare
4. State (California)
5. CA VPDI

The 1040NR allows for using the Federal withholding against the Federal liability. 540NR allows for using the State withholding against the State liability.

Question: Is there a way the get the Social Security, Medicare, and CA VPDI back?

Thanks!

bereedcpa

As Non-Residents, it is my belief they are not allowed to collect benefits related to Social Security and Medicare or state disability benefits. My inquiry is essentially trying to prove or disprove this belief. Where does this belief come from? In sponsoring their P-1 visas, I was required to take financial responsibility for their health and therefore concluded they were not entitled to government benefits.

davew128

Your belief is incorrect and the ability to collect benefits is irrelevant to the requirement to withhold those taxes.

bereedcpa

Dave,

You flippant nature offers little help here. I posted this this sight because I wanted answers and dialogue, not to have someone simply tell me I am wrong. I would not be here if I was not already questioning my own ideas.

The original question is NOT about the require withholding. The question is about the ability to get the previously referenced withholding back when filing taxes. Please do not respond to this thread if you digress again into vague, wanna-be-Socratic, banter.

Bryan <-- Never amused or impressed by bullies.

LdiJ

Dave,

You flippant nature offers little help here. I posted this this sight because I wanted answers and dialogue, not to have someone simply tell me I am wrong. I would not be here if I was not already questioning my own ideas.

The original question is NOT about the require withholding. The question is about the ability to get the previously referenced withholding back when filing taxes. Please do not respond to this thread if you digress again into vague, wanna-be-Socratic, banter.

I will admit that I have done very few 1040 NRs in my time, but I do not recall any ability to get back the social security or medicare withholding.

Beyond that, I simply have no time to do pro bono research this time of year.

davew128

Dave,

You flippant nature offers little help here.
Nor does your attitude and inability to accept the answer you were given.

I posted this this sight because I wanted answers and dialogue, not to have someone simply tell me I am wrong. I would not be here if I was not already questioning my own ideas.
Being told you're wrong is in and of itself an answer.

You asked how to get social security, FICA, and VPDI back. Paying them in as a non-resident on a P-1 visa doesn't make anything exempt from those taxes. What part of that was unclear to you.

Davew128 <-- Never amused or impressed by ignorance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">