• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sol irs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrneedshelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA, lived in Idaho at the time.

I failed to file a tax return in 2000. I have never responded or made arrangements with the IRS in all that time. Every year or two I get a bill for around $35k. They have kept all my tax returns throughout probably totaling $17k. The state of ca now kept my state returns for the irs debt.

I can answer anymore questions you have but I cant seem to find any records from it. I hired an attorney in 2003 and he stole $5k from me and never did a thing. I should have done something but he wore me out with excuses and put me off for 2 years when stopped taking his bs.

The irs is not contacting me or anything, I just want this behind me. I dont believe I owed anything because I had massive expense from business to offset all 1099's. I actually had a the returns prepared but broke my back before picking them up and spent the next few years in recovery because of complications. I am able to work again and pay y taxes and have not had any issues but they keep my returns when I think the SOL is over. ??

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA, lived in Idaho at the time.

I failed to file a tax return in 2000. I have never responded or made arrangements with the IRS in all that time. Every year or two I get a bill for around $35k. They have kept all my tax returns throughout probably totaling $17k. The state of ca now kept my state returns for the irs debt.

I can answer anymore questions you have but I cant seem to find any records from it. I hired an attorney in 2003 and he stole $5k from me and never did a thing. I should have done something but he wore me out with excuses and put me off for 2 years when stopped taking his bs.

The irs is not contacting me or anything, I just want this behind me. I dont believe I owed anything because I had massive expense from business to offset all 1099's. I actually had a the returns prepared but broke my back before picking them up and spent the next few years in recovery because of complications. I am able to work again and pay y taxes and have not had any issues but they keep my returns when I think the SOL is over. ??
IRS doesn't have a SOL to collect unpaid taxes. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

You did not file a return. They imputed your liability and sent you a bill. You failed to dispute the amount by filing or presenting records to dispute it. Now they are collecting. Pay it off and it will stop growing at a very high rate due to interest and penalties.

LdiJ

IRS doesn't have a SOL to collect unpaid taxes. :cool:
Actually that is incorrect. The IRS does have a 10 year statute of limitations but many things can temporarily suspend the statute of limitations.

You are correct though for many state taxing authorities. Many of them have no statute of limitations.

LdiJ

You did not file a return. They imputed your liability and sent you a bill. You failed to dispute the amount by filing or presenting records to dispute it. Now they are collecting. Pay it off and it will stop growing at a very high rate due to interest and penalties.
Its quite possible that the statute of limitations (10 years) has run out on that particular debt. He should see a tax professional in his area.

swalsh411

When did the IRS calculate how much you owe because you never filed a return? That is the point the SOL clock starts ticking, not when the original return was due. But as mentioned, many things can toll the IRS.

They may have stopped contacting you because the SOL has run out. You can write to them asking for a statement of your account. Doing so will not "put you on their radar" or anything.

Mrneedshelp

How can I find out?

I do not have the original bill from back in 2001 or 2002. They must have made filing for me or else how would they come up with an amount I owed them? Can I do some type of discovery of documents with the IRS?

LdiJ

I do not have the original bill from back in 2001 or 2002. They must have made filing for me or else how would they come up with an amount I owed them? Can I do some type of discovery of documents with the IRS?
That is exactly what they did do. If the tax year in question was 2000, then they probably did it in late 2001, but might have done it in 2002. Its not likely that they waited until 2003, but that is not impossible.

Actually all you need to do is contact the IRS and ask for an account transcript for the year in question. You can give a tax professional a POA to do that for you, which would eliminate any fears you might have in contacting the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">