• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole Proprietor EIN on W-9??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phpinfo

I will be getting a check for a stock buyout in a small private company. They want me to give them a W-9 to make sure I am not subject to back withholding, and have hold out 28%.

I don't want to give them my SSN (for various reason). - The stock was bought/issued in my name. Can I register an Assumed Business Name as a sole proprietorship and get an EIN for it, then put My Name DBA "New Sole Proprietorship" and use that EIN on the W-9?

Would the EIN be tied to my SSN where I could still show that I am not subject to back withholding, without having to give my SSN?

davew128

I don't want to give them my SSN (for various reason). - The stock was bought/issued in my name. Can I register an Assumed Business Name as a sole proprietorship and get an EIN for it, then put My Name DBA "New Sole Proprietorship" and use that EIN on the W-9?
Did your"business" own the stock?:rolleyes:

Would the EIN be tied to my SSN where I could still show that I am not subject to back withholding, without having to give my SSN?
Did your SSN not appear anywhere on the business's records as a stockholder?

LdiJ

I will be getting a check for a stock buyout in a small private company. They want me to give them a W-9 to make sure I am not subject to back withholding, and have hold out 28%.

That would be totally improper. You are going to need to give them your SSN or be subject to back withholding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">