• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone else paid the property taxes on my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwh20001886

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

When I went to pay my property tax on my home this year, I was told it had already been paid and that there was no tax liability. I inquired into who had paid this, since my wife and I had not, and was told they would "look into it" and let me know. Several weeks past and I persistently called every 3-4 days to find out who had paid this. I was told after, 3-4 weeks that our bank had paid the tax like they did for escrow accounts. However, I know for a fact that this is not available on our mortgage because we had wanted to escrow and were told it was not an option. I called the local branch of the bank and was told that they had no record on the payment from our account and that they indeed did not escrow property taxes. I am concerned this error will later be brought to light and we will owe the tax and penalties. I've also been told that when taxes are paid by a third party over a period of time, that ownership is actually transferred. Is this true? Should we be concerned? Is this payment information a matter of public record that I can research?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Put the money aside in savings because SOMEONE will figure out that they made a mistake and will come with their hands out looking to be repaid.

I would send a letter to the mortgage company certified, return receipt requested so that you are covered.

divona2000

Could someone else's payment on their own property taxes have been credited to your tax liability by mistake? A near identical property tax number? If that office took nearly a month to 'discover' your mortgage co. (which does not escrow property taxes) had allegedly paid the tax...seem like that tax office may not be overly competent...where is their copy of the receipt showing who paid?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">