• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indygirl

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband was an independ contractor in 2003, he did not submit taxes through the year. I worked and taxes were taken from my income.

We seperated in 2004 -- the 2003 taxes were never filed.
If I file seperate I will not owe taxes.
He will, and with penalties and late fee about $18K

If I file with him the taxes owe will be much lower than what he currently owes if we file seperate.

My Question is: If he signs a legal binding document that he will be responsible for the taxes owe, could I be held responsible for the taxes owed if we filed together?

Last edited:

LdiJ

indygirl said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband was an independ contractor in 2003, he did not submit taxes through the year. I worked and taxes were taken from my income.

We seperated in 2004 -- the 2003 taxes were never filed.
If I file seperate I will not owe taxes.
He will, and with penalties and late fee about $18K

If I file with him the taxes owe will be much lower than what he currently owes if we file seperate.

My Question is: If he signs a legal binding document that he will be responsible for the taxes owe, could I be held responsible for the taxes owed if we filed together?
Yes, you would absolutely be responsible and the IRS would take your refund every year until the balance was paid in full. File separately.

Snipes5

Yes, file seperately. The IRS will not care whether he has a legal agreement or even a court order to pay them. If you sign that return, they can and WILL get all the money from whichever person they can find first.

I'll just say it one more time. File seperately. Then if you want to be "nice", give him a little cash, but you won't be on the hook for the entire balance due.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">