• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sponsership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yasklegal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

My company is sponsoring me to go back to school with the expectation that I should return to the company after completing my degree or pay the entire tuition cost back to the company.

I will be a full time student and not working for the company during this time.

As part of the arrangement (contract), the company is paying me directly and thus I am incurring the tax burden.

My question are:
1. If I chose not to return, do I need to pay the entire amount (including the taxes) back to to company?
2. Does the fact that I am paying taxes make this a gift rather than a loan?
Thanks!

LdiJ

My company is sponsoring me to go back to school with the expectation that I should return to the company after completing my degree or pay the entire tuition cost back to the company.

As part of the arrangement (contract), the company is paying me directly and thus I am incurring the tax burden.

My question are:
1. If I chose not to return, do I need to pay the entire amount (including the taxes) back to to company?
Thanks!
I am not sure that the money is taxable. To me, this could be a loan since you would have to pay it back if you do not return to the company.

However, this is something that a tax professional would want to research to be certain. Take your copy of the contract and go get a consult with a local tax professional. You want someone with a lot of experience in researching tax issues.

LdiJ

My question are:
Thanks!
I am not sure that the money is taxable. To me, this could be a loan since you would have to pay it back if you do not return to the company.

However, this is something that a tax professional would want to research to be certain. Take your copy of the contract and go get a consult with a local tax professional. You want someone with a lot of experience in researching tax issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">