• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse died few months ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

altglennmal

I have been doing my friends simple federal income taxes for several years. His wife died a few months ago. I know that for tax purposes they are considered to be married for the whole year. But didn't her death create an entity in and by itself that has tax consequences? Doesn’t that entity have to file too? They lived in the state of Washington

ecmst12

If you are not a CPA, then doing someone else's taxes is illegal.....

If you were merely HELPING them do their taxes, that's a different story, but a slippery slope.

If the situation is too complex for you to understand, you should direct your friend to a real professional.

LdiJ

If you are not a CPA, then doing someone else's taxes is illegal.....
Completely untrue. There are CPAs, Tax Attorneys, EAs, and a whole host of excellent tax professionals without any designation at all. (as well as some charlatans, sadly)

If you were merely HELPING them do their taxes, that's a different story, but a slippery slope.
Again, completely untrue. Any unpaid tax preparer (such as the VITA volunteers recruited by the IRS) friend, relative, neighbor etc., can help someone with their taxes without any risk whatsoever.

If the situation is too complex for you to understand, you should direct your friend to a real professional.
If it was necessary for an estate to be opened (if any assets have to pass through probate) then an estate tax return will be required. That is definitely something that a professional should handle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">