• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is spouse liable for income tax debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alyssavalerie

What is the name of your state? Actually I am writing from Ontario, Canada...but I hope maybe someone knows something about the legal structure here with regards to this question.

My father died three months ago. He was self-employed and owed a few years of back income taxes that amounts to ~$50,000 debt. He had no assets in his name (no house, no cars, no signficant bank accounts), and there is no assets in the "estate". My mother is freaking out that she thinks the Canada Revenue Agency is going to hold her liable for the inceom tax debt, as she is the executor of the estate. Is this possible?

I know this "type" of question has been asked many times but I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks.

Snipes5

Call your local H&R Block office and ask them. They will know your answer.

If not, contact CCRA and ask them. If you can't understand the first person that answers the phone, ask to speak with someone else.

I do Canadian taxes as well, but unfortunately do not know the answer to your question.

Normally though, an executrix would not be responsible for the deceased's debts, regardless of relationship, and in Canada, as you know, there are no "joint" returns, so it stands to reason that there would not be "joint" tax debt.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">