• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse Lives out of the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rafraf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY & MD

Hi,

While filing out my taxes (through software), I am prompted to enter my spouse's SS number. My husband is a citizen of Denmark and does not live here in the states. I am a citizen, but I've been out of the country for 10 years doing non-profit work. My work brought me back to the states in 2010 where I spent some of my time in NY and in MD. I worked in MD for a non-profit organization and therefore need to file my taxes. How can I proceed with filing if I am unable to enter his SSN, which does not exist? Also, we are currently separated, have been for the past year.

Your help and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Regards.

davew128

What did you do for the last 10 years? You know, because you're out of the country doesn't mean you're exempt from filing, right?

That said, your software should have some sort of option that indicates your spouse is NRA.

rafraf

Hi,

Thanks so much for responding. No, the software does not give me an option to enter NRA. I referred to another site that also stated to enter NRA, but when I manually enter it, the software rejects it prompting me for a number format.

I was employed overseas for the past 10 years.

Any thoughts?

davew128

Thanks so much for responding. No, the software does not give me an option to enter NRA. I referred to another site that also stated to enter NRA, but when I manually enter it, the software rejects it prompting me for a number format.
Then either call technical support, get a different program, or do it on paper.

I was employed overseas for the past 10 years.
There is no exemption from filing a return because you are/were out of the country.....think I made that clear already. :cool:

LdiJ

What did you do for the last 10 years? You know, because you're out of the country doesn't mean you're exempt from filing, right?

That said, your software should have some sort of option that indicates your spouse is NRA.
I have always had to do those types of returns as paper returns.

rafraf

If I do it as a paper return, do I simply put in NRA under his SSN? I've seen some programs generate a generic # in its place (ie: 555-12-3456 and 899-99-9999). Can I simply insert these when the software asks for his #, or will this cause issues?
I've been filing since out of the US, however, he was the one who took care of it. As I stated, we have been separated for a year and I do not have the paper work.

Snipes5

In your situation, you are best off having someone else do your taxes for you. Especially if you somehow think that because your husband "took care of the taxes", that you've been doing everything that was required.

You stated that he is not a US Citizen. Does that mean you've been living in the Netherlands and he's been taking care of your taxes there? That is all well and good, and will hopefully ensure that you are complying with the laws of that country, but that has no bearing on your requirement to file a United States tax return.

Do not use a fake number to trick the software. That is never a good idea, even for experienced preparers who do know what they're doing, and is a very bad idea for others.

Please get the help of an experienced professional who understands international tax issues. You'll be glad you did.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">