• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a Non profit organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usarmychic1984

I reside in NC, and I would like to raise money for cancer foundations, and also for families of cancer victims who were left behind with medical bills or debt from the death of a loved one from cancer. I would also like to distribute information on cancer. Do I need to start up a NPO, or is this something I can do in my free time? If I have to start an NPO, what forms do I need to start one, and what forms will I need annually for tax purposes. I really don't want to have to start an NPO, i just want to hold events, and give all proceeds of the events to other foundations and people with financial difficulty from a cancer patient. I am at a total loss in reading all the legal terms and forms. Thanks

FlyingRon

Starting a non-profit is relatively easy. Getting recognition of the charity by the IRS (which is generally a yardstick that many other statutes on charitable fundraising) is a bit more involved and does involve paperwork.

You generally start by laying out what the intend of the corporation is and getting incorporated in your state. Then start collecting the info for the 501(c).

Of course there are is an easier way. See if you can get either an existing charity or a church to allow you to operate under them.

But if you want to do it, it's not outside the realm of a reasonably intelligent person. You can find a lot of info by googling "starting a non-profit".

Here's one page that looks good to get you started:

http://managementhelp.org/strt_org/strt_np/strt_np.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">