• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Lost Tax return,making us pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elizabeth B.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Last year, my husband and I filed our state tax return online, paid. Then the state sent us a notice saying they never received it. We couldn't find our records, so our only option was to pay it a second time (about $600), which, needless to say in this economy, was extremely hard on us financially. Now they are saying they never got the second one either. We contacted our bank and they were able to pull the payment information. We sent it to show proof we paid them. Now they are saying, ok you paid, but we can't find the tax return itself so you have to pay a fine, and also a late fee, coming out to about $1,800. Can they do this? How are we responsible because they can't find our return? This seems like a complete scam.

swalsh411

Why could you not prove you paid the first time? Sometime seems fishy to me. I have heard of scams pretending to be legitimate tax filing web sites that take your money then do not pay the tax. Perhaps you fell victim to one of those.

davew128

Why could you not prove you paid the first time? Sometime seems fishy to me. I have heard of scams pretending to be legitimate tax filing web sites that take your money then do not pay the tax. Perhaps you fell victim to one of those.
If it was legit, then contacting the ERO who transmitted the return would provide proof of timely filing.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">