• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State tax filling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imatch007

:( What is the name of your state? MI

Hello Expert,

I have question for filling state tax, the scenario is as below.

I am resident of MI, whereas on W2 my address is as NY (also during payroll run NY state tax deducted). So as per law I have to fill state tax refund for NY and also I have to pay MI state tax.

As on W2 the address is NY address. For filling MI state tax, it is necessary to change the address on W2 as MI address? Or Still I can file MI state tax return without changing address on W2.

Also when I will file state tax refund for NY, Do I will get complete amount back from NY. As in NY there are two type of different tax is applicable NY state tax and NY City residence tax. So do I get both tax refund?

Thanks in advance…

Snipes5

Why do you have an NY address if you live in MI?

Technically, it doesn't matter what the address is on your W-2, but you may have difficulty convincing the state of New York that you don't live there, since there's an NY address on your W-2, and there were NY taxes taken out.

You might want to see a professional about this.

Snipes

imatch007

I have asked my employer to change my address as MI address, But he did not. Also I asked my employer to change address on W2. He said no and told me u can still file tax return in MI and refund to NY.

Mean to say it is possible to do that, but for that I have to take some professional help. Ok I will contact some one professional to do that.

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">