• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

humberto67

I owe income tax to the IRS on the years 1987,88,89,90,91,92,,since1996 when a personal lien was imposed my credit has been ruined ,,I have a (CPA-Lawyer),that doesn't move fast enough ,,I previously have been rejected on an offer in compromise application filled in 2002 ,,the IRS hasn't taken any action against me any more .

Do anyone understand the statue of limitations in taxes and does my case apply for any of this laws?

davew128

Not enough details to say. When were the returns filed. Bankruptcy petitions? How many OIC offers were made and when and how long outstanding? SOL is 10 years from the time the tax is assessed but I have seen active tax debts almost 20 years old because the individuals kept filing BK and submitting OICs that got rejected.

humberto67

income tax were filled in 93 (19 years ago)
assessment on such unpaid taxes I believe take place 3 years after you have filled ? 1996.
personal lien filed in court in 1996.
OIC only one time rejected in 2002,,
I believe Im in copliace with them I have paid my taxes since 1993

Thanks for your advice.

davew128

Then ask your CPA to get account transcripts from the IRS to see if the statute has passed. Why is this an issue NOW?

humberto67

IRS, provide transcripts up to 3 years only,,,any other information requires a different approach .

all I'm trying to do is get the basis of this part of the law and its application in cases like mine,,,before I file for a lien removal,,,

thanks for any input to it.

davew128

IRS, provide transcripts up to 3 years only,,,any other information requires a different approach .
BS. I can get a transcript for any I client I have a valid POA on going back 10 years.

all I'm trying to do is get the basis of this part of the law and its application in cases like mine,,,before I file for a lien removal,,,
And you were given the correct response. The only way to know if the SOL is up is to get a transcript.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">