• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still don't have my 1099-MISC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Airtex

What is the name of your state? TX

I understand employer's deadline for filing the 1099-MISC was Jan. 31, 2008 for tax year 2007. However, mine have been uncooperative to say the least. It is now near the end of February and I can't file my taxes with the missing paperwork. Is there any legal recourses or remedies to force my employer to file the 1099 so I may file my taxes? TIA

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX

I understand employer's deadline for filing the 1099-MISC was Jan. 31, 2008 for tax year 2007. However, mine have been uncooperative to say the least. It is now near the end of February and I can't file my taxes with the missing paperwork. Is there any legal recourses or remedies to force my employer to file the 1099 so I may file my taxes? TIA
ARG...

Someone who recieves a 1099 MISC technically does not have an employer because they are technically "self employed". Therefore they are suppose do be keeping track of their own income and shouldn't "need" a 1099 MISC in order to file their tax return. They are certainly not required to have a 1099 MISC in hand in order to file their tax return.

Now...having said that, there are lots of "employers" who cheat the system by treating their employees as "contractors" in order to avoid paying employer taxes, worker's comp insurance etc, and those "employees" now have more recourse than they used to have in resolving that issue.

However, the bottom line is that if you accept being treated as a contractor, you don't need the 1099 to file your tax return. You simply need to take your own records of your income and include that on your Schedule C.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">