• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HD Streeglide

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
Hello,
I have a few questions and im not sure where to find the answers, maybe I can get some help here,
Well, My tax return was stolen, It was sent to my home which was being rented out at the time, Now my renter must have seen my check in the mailbox and thought it was christmas. He brought it to one of those check cashing places where he probably thought it would be tracked and cashed it.
Somewhere around $2300.00, Well after I didnt get my check the IRS said it was cashed??? Well they send me a copy of it and low and behold my renters signature and someone elses was on it. I called the IRS and told them my renter cashed the check and sent them a copy of my lease and a copy of the check with matching signatures, Obviously they decided it was stolen and sent me another check in 2-3 weeks, I expected one but not so fast,
I asked if there was anything I needed to do about it like file charges ect. ect. They said no, Its 2 federal crimes (Opening my mail/cashing the check) we will take care of it. Thier investigation was quick and decisive, All that is in stone. Now my question... How do I find out if this guy got arrested? Was anything done to him? He also skipped out on his last months rent. And get this he is a Captain in the local fire dept. Can you believe that, Someone who serves the public is a thief. Ill be having a chat with the fire chief soon. But how do I find out if he got in trouble?
Thanks for all your help!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
Hello,
I have a few questions and im not sure where to find the answers, maybe I can get some help here,
Well, My tax return was stolen, It was sent to my home which was being rented out at the time, Now my renter must have seen my check in the mailbox and thought it was christmas. He brought it to one of those check cashing places where he probably thought it would be tracked and cashed it.
Somewhere around $2300.00, Well after I didnt get my check the IRS said it was cashed??? Well they send me a copy of it and low and behold my renters signature and someone elses was on it. I called the IRS and told them my renter cashed the check and sent them a copy of my lease and a copy of the check with matching signatures, Obviously they decided it was stolen and sent me another check in 2-3 weeks, I expected one but not so fast,
I asked if there was anything I needed to do about it like file charges ect. ect. They said no, Its 2 federal crimes (Opening my mail/cashing the check) we will take care of it. Thier investigation was quick and decisive, All that is in stone. Now my question... How do I find out if this guy got arrested? Was anything done to him? He also skipped out on his last months rent. And get this he is a Captain in the local fire dept. Can you believe that, Someone who serves the public is a thief. Ill be having a chat with the fire chief soon. But how do I find out if he got in trouble?
Thanks for all your help!
Its a federal charge, so any records would be at the federal level. I have no idea how to access federal criminal records.

Also, just FYI, your tax "return" is the document you filled out to file you taxes. Your tax "refund" is the money the you got from the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">