• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange scenario - Fraud? ID Theft? Im not sure :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pookie23

New York, NY: Little weird but I received a letter from the IRS claiming that I they had not reached a conclusion on something they were investigating but had the info I had sent them October 30. I had not sent them a thing and had no idea what the letter referred to so I called the IRS who informed me that my tax professional had sent the information in and that they could not tell me the nature of what was happening or what was sent in. I called my accountant who of course, has sent nothing in to the IRS and would never do that without seeking my permission so it has to be someone pretending to be both me and my accountant i suppose. The only other person who has had access to my tax records that have my accountants name and info on them plus my social etc...if the mother of my child who I have no direct contact with (not my choice, hers). This individual also lives in Europe and has an unfortunate history of causing huge amounts of trouble, for example, sending to threatening letters to my wife and her employers etc....

I am pretty convinced that she has pretended to be my accountant and me in order to start some sort of trouble with me and the IRS. I am a freelancer, so I suppose it is easier to create issues for people in these types of professions. I have nothing to hide and file accurate returns so I am not worried about repercussions but I am perturbed that this has even happened! I guess my question is what, if any, is the legal recourse for this sort of behavior and how do I protect myself from this in the future? Also, will the IRS out anything in place to protect me and how do I let them know that whatever the issue is she is trying to create comes from a third person and not me or my tax professional?

Thanking you in advance.

tranquility

New York, NY: Little weird but I received a letter from the IRS claiming that I they had not reached a conclusion on something they were investigating but had the info I had sent them October 30. I had not sent them a thing and had no idea what the letter referred to so I called the IRS who informed me that my tax professional had sent the information in and that they could not tell me the nature of what was happening or what was sent in. I called my accountant who of course, has sent nothing in to the IRS and would never do that without seeking my permission so it has to be someone pretending to be both me and my accountant i suppose. The only other person who has had access to my tax records that have my accountants name and info on them plus my social etc...if the mother of my child who I have no direct contact with (not my choice, hers). This individual also lives in Europe and has an unfortunate history of causing huge amounts of trouble, for example, sending to threatening letters to my wife and her employers etc....

I am pretty convinced that she has pretended to be my accountant and me in order to start some sort of trouble with me and the IRS. I am a freelancer, so I suppose it is easier to create issues for people in these types of professions. I have nothing to hide and file accurate returns so I am not worried about repercussions but I am perturbed that this has even happened! I guess my question is what, if any, is the legal recourse for this sort of behavior and how do I protect myself from this in the future? Also, will the IRS out anything in place to protect me and how do I let them know that whatever the issue is she is trying to create comes from a third person and not me or my tax professional?

Thanking you in advance.
I might call the appropriate taxpayer advocate.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate-%28LTA%29-in-New-York

But, better would be to have your tax professional make the contact.

davew128

If you are a victim of identity theft you have to contact the IRS. They do have procedures for this, and while its a bit of a pain, following it will prevent future problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">