• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subcontractor and no 1099?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dozerbob

I am from Florida here is my question. I worked one year for a friend as a subcontractor.He paid for my business liscence.I'm incorporated.The question is he didn;t send me a 1099 do I need to file it. I made more than $600 a week.What do I do this is the first time I've done this.:confused:

LdiJ

I am from Florida here is my question. I worked one year for a friend as a subcontractor.He paid for my business liscence.I'm incorporated.The question is he didn;t send me a 1099 do I need to file it. I made more than $600 a week.What do I do this is the first time I've done this.:confused:
You need to get yourself to a tax professional ASAP. You were required to file a corporate return (and the deadline was March 15th) and then, assuming that you made an S-corp election, the income flows through to your personal return via a Schedule K1. If you were a C-corp then it gets even more complicated.

You honestly need the help of a tax professional. Go see one now. You should have talked to one prior to getting involved in this business.

Dozerbob

I knew something wasn't right from the beginning.Your right I should have talked to someone.Back in November they started taking taxes out every other week.I took that and filed a return jointly with my wife's income and the former company that I used to work for.Good Lord if I knew it would be this bad I would have never went to work for him.I've just been had havn't I?Thank you.I can't even afford a cpa now that I left him to go back to what I was doing before.:mad:

LdiJ

I knew something wasn't right from the beginning.Your right I should have talked to someone.Back in November they started taking taxes out every other week.I took that and filed a return jointly with my wife's income and the former company that I used to work for.Good Lord if I knew it would be this bad I would have never went to work for him.I've just been had havn't I?Thank you.I can't even afford a cpa now that I left him to go back to what I was doing before.:mad:
You don't necessarily need a high priced CPA, but you do need a tax professional with some solid experience. This is not something that you should be ignoring. The IRS is going to be asking you for that corporate return in a few months. The longer you wait to handle it, the more expensive its going to be.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm incorporated
What matters on this is HOW you elected to file your taxes when you incorporated.

The reason I ask is that the person from whom I was going to purchase a business incorporated elected to file their taxes as a Schedule C. So no, corporate tax return was NOT needed in all cases.

OP - go back to your incorporation papers and find out what you elected to do. I can't remember right now the form needed to be filed with the IRS to do the election.

You should be looking for a tax professional who has experience in small business.

LdiJ

What matters on this is HOW you elected to file your taxes when you incorporated.

The reason I ask is that the person from whom I was going to purchase a business incorporated elected to file their taxes as a Schedule C. So no, corporate tax return was NOT needed in all cases.

OP - go back to your incorporation papers and find out what you elected to do. I can't remember right now the form needed to be filed with the IRS to do the election.

You should be looking for a tax professional who has experience in small business.
Ginny, an LLC can be a disregarded entity, but not a corporation. The OP could file a zero return for the corporation and then claim the income on schedule C, but the corporate return still has to be done.

Dozerbob

Thankyou guys so much for your help.The only thing is I don't have the money to pay. This jack ass I worked for promised me that I would be making all kinds of cash and bonuses.I don't know how my family survived all year with the money I made.I got jacked and it pisses me off.It's bad when you don't make enough money to pay bills but add tax to it.:mad:

LdiJ

Thankyou guys so much for your help.The only thing is I don't have the money to pay. This jack ass I worked for promised me that I would be making all kinds of cash and bonuses.I don't know how my family survived all year with the money I made.I got jacked and it pisses me off.It's bad when you don't make enough money to pay bills but add tax to it.:mad:
I really understand...you really got screwed. However that doesn't change the fact that you are responsible for income tax on the money you earned, one way or another.

Get yourself a consult with a local tax pro and then ask for an installment plan with the IRS and the state....and in the future, don't accept a job that doesn't treat you as a full fledged employee.

taxhelp

I really understand...you really got screwed. However that doesn't change the fact that you are responsible for income tax on the money you earned, one way or another.

Get yourself a consult with a local tax pro and then ask for an installment plan with the IRS and the state....and in the future, don't accept a job that doesn't treat you as a full fledged employee.
I also have a similar situation. However, I did it with the intention of operating under the corporation (LLC) but didn't end up using it. I had some income paid in cash and bought some computers for business. What do I have to do if I want to file schedule C instead of 1120. Do I have to close the corp?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I also have a similar situation. However, I did it with the intention of operating under the corporation (LLC) but didn't end up using it. I had some income paid in cash and bought some computers for business. What do I have to do if I want to file schedule C instead of 1120. Do I have to close the corp?
An LLC is not a corporation. If you made a formal election to be taxed as an S-corp, then you would need to file a zero return for the LLC. (1120S) However, if you did not, then the LLC can be a disregarded entity and you would simply file a schedule C, but include the LLC name and EIN number on the schedule C.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">