+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    IFindKarma Guest

    Question Support for foreign fiancee as tax deduction

    Thank you.
    I live in Georgia.
    I have a fiancee in the Philippines, and we expect a K-1 Visa to be issued before the end of this year.
    My question: Since March of this year, I have been sending my fiancee money to her support. Support for everything except housing. Is this tax deductable?
    Also, are any of the fees involved with filing for a visa deductable, i.e., application fees, foreign passport cost, medical exam, petition fees?
    And finally, I had to travel to the Philipines to prove to the INS that I have met my fiancee in person. Travel deductions?


  2. #2
    loku Guest
    Bad news: none of these expenses are deductible. In addition to providing more than half the support for a dependent, to qualify as a dependent a person must To meet the citizen or resident test, a person must be a U.S. citizen or resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the calendar year in which your tax year begins. Also the person must be related to you or live in your household.

    As for the travel expenses, with few exceptions, which don't apply, travel is deductible only if it is for business. Yours was not.

  3. #3
    IFindKarma Guest
    Aw, shucks.
    Thank you for your timely response, loku.

  4. #4
    chinamario Guest

    Cool tax deductions

    since I am not an attorney...i share ideas.....I'm a freelance professional speaker and corporate trainer living in China.

    it is easy enough to create significant legitimate tax deductions by being self employed or exploring business possibilities.....

    ...next time you want to travel such as to the phillipines, don't you want to do some research there on finding cute little knick knack products to export? Make appointments and visit local businesses....

    ...you might contact the US Embassy Foreign Commercial Service there to let them you're interested in developing small business or seeking part time English teaching employment there since you have family/fiancee there....

    These are simple strategies which typically make all or part of your trip for business purposes and therefore tax deductible...

    ...the simplest...sign up as a distributor for any major company such as Avon, Amway, Mary Kay, FreeLife....and go there to try to find distributors or sell some products.....I am NOT by the way associated with any of these or similar companies so don't misunderstand me....

    Good luck, chinamario

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Taking deduction from foreign contractor?
    By coffeebean in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM
  2. Tax deduction on Interest paid on Foreign mortgage
    By hasyadarbar in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
  4. foreign fiancee with no intent to immigrate
    By pjs2knd in forum Immigration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 04:43 PM
  5. Foreign fiancee
    By Stricker in forum Immigration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2000, 04:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.