• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspect Falsified W2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HairLoveStyle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I am a hairdresser that has to report tips. My ex employer is using a scheduling system where payments can be altered at any time to either reflect or subtract tips. I believe my ex employer falsified my tips total for my W2. For instance, any transaction can be entered in the system with a tip of any dollar amount. I can put that I was given a $20 tip when I really only received $10. I would like my ex employer to verify my tip amounts by matching them with the corresponding credit card transactions. Can I do that and how? Also, if my employer did about $20,000 in cash paid wedding services and did not report it to in IRS can i report him? What if he supposedly paid me in cash for my work on those same events?

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I am a hairdresser that has to report tips. My ex employer is using a scheduling system where payments can be altered at any time to either reflect or subtract tips. I believe my ex employer falsified my tips total for my W2. For instance, any transaction can be entered in the system with a tip of any dollar amount. I can put that I was given a $20 tip when I really only received $10. I would like my ex employer to verify my tip amounts by matching them with the corresponding credit card transactions. Can I do that and how? Also, if my employer did about $20,000 in cash paid wedding services and did not report it to in IRS can i report him? What if he supposedly paid me in cash for my work on those same events?
You should be keeping records of your tips yourself. If you receive more than are reported, you can add them to your tax return.

How do you know he's not reporting things to the IRS? Businesses file these at the end of the year and unless you've seen his tax return you don't know if he did or didn't. If you get cash payments not reflected on your W-2 or begin legitimate tips (i.e, he's paying you under the table), you should declare that income yourself. You can certainly report to the IRS that he wasn't paying the proper employer's share on SS/Medicare, use form 8919.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">