• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking $7500 tax credit falsely. What are the penalties?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carn123

My buddy lost his job about 3 months ago, yes its not me I actually have a job, and sold my house last year.

He is behind on his mortgage, might lose his house. He has alot of equity in it but cant take it out because his credit turned bad when he lost his job twice in this ****ty Michigan economy.

He bought the house about 10 months to early to take the credit.
However, he is going to take the credit anyway and even if he does get caught he will treat it like a loan and pay it back because he cant get a loan anywhere. If he doesnt get caught he will just pay it $500 a year as normal or pay it in full if he sells his house.

He does have a job with a local energy plant starting in July. He even gets a big sign on bonus ($10,000). So he figures he just has to make it to July and this $7500 would get him there.

Im sure evading taxes is illegal, but this is a government loan, he will payback and is required too. So he isnt "stealing" technically. I told him do it. Even if he gets penalties I belive it is 3% over Federal interest rates, which would be about the standard interest of a regular loan from a bank if he had good credit.

What would the worse case senario be (penalty wise for him)?

Thanks.

Some Random Guy

Intentional tax fraud is different from standard mistakes on the returns. There is the possibility of jail time for one. It is very easy for them to catch this kind of fraud.

davew128

My buddy lost his job about 3 months ago, yes its not me I actually have a job, and sold my house last year.

He is behind on his mortgage, might lose his house. He has alot of equity in it but cant take it out because his credit turned bad when he lost his job twice in this ****ty Michigan economy.

He bought the house about 10 months to early to take the credit.
However, he is going to take the credit anyway and even if he does get caught he will treat it like a loan and pay it back because he cant get a loan anywhere. If he doesnt get caught he will just pay it $500 a year as normal or pay it in full if he sells his house.
He WILL get caught. What else?

He does have a job with a local energy plant starting in July. He even gets a big sign on bonus ($10,000). So he figures he just has to make it to July and this $7500 would get him there.
A loser with a bonus is still a loser.

Im sure evading taxes is illegal
Figure out that all by yourself did you?
but this is a government loan, he will payback and is required too. So he isnt "stealing" technically. I told him do it.
Well no its not a loan. It's a tax credit that is recaptured over 15 years or faster. However more importantly, here are two terms you should Google: Criminal conspiracy and criminal accessory.

Even if he gets penalties I belive it is 3% over Federal interest rates, which would be about the standard interest of a regular loan from a bank if he had good credit.
Do yourself and your friend a favor: Don't quit your day job. The penalty for substantial understatement of tax liability due to negligence or disregard is 20% of the understatement. If they decide to go for the fraud penalty, its 75%.

What would the worse case senario be (penalty wise for him)?
If_I_were a revenue agent, I'd refer it AND you to DOJ and let the Criminal Investigations Division take over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">