• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majito

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My late husband owed the IRS almost $10,000. I have been on disability since 1987. We always filed jointly. He's left me a $10,000 insurance policy. My question is if I deposit this check will the IRS seize it? I live on a very limited income and wouldn't want to have this money taken away from me.:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

tranquility

You need to change your first sentence to:

"My late husband and I owe the IRS $10,000 in back taxes."

Now, there are rules as to what they can seize and the a deposit of the $10,000 may put you over that amount, but I suspect they will get something from it.

You have two possibilities to prevent that. The first is innocent spouse relief. You have not alleged anything to indicate that, but I don't know everything. The second is to make an offer in compromise regarding doubts about collectiblity. In either case, you need a tax professional to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">