• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Advice Needed: Sale of Domain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briannajoy

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I don't know a lot about this but I'm trying to help out my ex.

My ex was filing his taxes, he hasn't filed yet because last year he sold a domain name for 30k. They reported the income of course via a 1099 misc tax form, it said on the form that it had to be declared as one of 3 different things, wages not reported otherwise, farming, or self employment. I'm wondering, because it was the sale of a domain is there any way it's exempt or any way he can work with this?

Thanks!

Some Random Guy

Its money he reveived. That's all taxable income unless you have a significant cost of goods sold. Did he originally buy the domain from GoDaddy for $6.99 or did he pay somebody else $20,000 for it?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I don't know a lot about this but I'm trying to help out my ex.

My ex was filing his taxes, he hasn't filed yet because last year he sold a domain name for 30k. They reported the income of course via a 1099 misc tax form, it said on the form that it had to be declared as one of 3 different things, wages not reported otherwise, farming, or self employment. I'm wondering, because it was the sale of a domain is there any way it's exempt or any way he can work with this?

Thanks!
Actually, I would be likely to treat that as a capital gain rather than any of the above. He sold an asset. What box on the 1099 misc contains the amount?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">