• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax on cash gifts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindystar1

What is the name of your state?
I'm in WV. I need to know how large a cash gift to me must be before I must pay taxes on that gift? State and federal?

anteater

The person receiving a gift does not incur any federal taxes. The person making the gift may or may not have some federal gift reporting obligations. If it is a mega-gift or they have a huge estate, they or their estate might end up owing some taxes.

I don't know WV law, but I doubt that the receiver of a gift has any tax liability.

Last edited:

peculiarone

Cash gifts are non taxable for the federal if no services were performed for the cash and it is truly a gift.

The person receiving the gift does NOT have to include that amount in their imcome and therefore does not have to pay tax on that. See Plublication 525 from www.irs.gov.

Dont know about the state.

anteater

peculiarone said:
The person receiving the gift does NOT have to include that amount in their imcome and therefore does not have to pay tax on that.
Whoa, thanks for catching that. Lousy proofreading on my part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">