• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Company Screw Up!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DawnB.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA previously OH
If you go to a tax preparation company (like Jackson Hewitt) to get your taxes done and they make a mistake is it their responsiblity to rectify it? For instance my husband and I were seperated in 2009 for over 6 months (not legally seperated he was living with his parents) while living in ohio we got back together and moved to GA in Feb of 2010. We filed taxes here in GA together in 2010. They told me to file head of household because we were living apart for so long so i did and we filed seperately. They messed up somehow according to the letters I just received from the IRS and the Ohio Attorney Generals Office saying that they put his SS# under my name and my SS# under his name. The tax lady and Jackson Hewitt said that the IRS and Ohio just realized the mistake because when we filed this year we filed under the correct SS#'s. I am now being asked to Pay back My Tax return money from 2009 by the IRS and the tax return money owed by my husband to ohio. How should I preceed because I have now been asked to come back up to the Jackson Hewitt office for the 3rd time because the amended return was done incorrectly again. This is taking tons of time and gas money along with stress and I am not sure what I need to do. Do I contact the IRS and OH or do i just let Jackson Hewitt file and amended return?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you go to a tax preparation company (like Jackson Hewitt) to get your taxes done and they make a mistake is it their responsiblity to rectify it? For instance my husband and I were seperated in 2009 for over 6 months (not legally seperated he was living with his parents) while living in ohio we got back together and moved to GA in Feb of 2010. We filed taxes here in GA together in 2010. They told me to file head of household because we were living apart for so long so i did and we filed seperately. They messed up somehow according to the letters I just received from the IRS and the Ohio Attorney Generals Office saying that they put his SS# under my name and my SS# under his name. The tax lady and Jackson Hewitt said that the IRS and Ohio just realized the mistake because when we filed this year we filed under the correct SS#'s. I am now being asked to Pay back My Tax return money from 2009 by the IRS and the tax return money owed by my husband to ohio. How should I preceed because I have now been asked to come back up to the Jackson Hewitt office for the 3rd time because the amended return was done incorrectly again. This is taking tons of time and gas money along with stress and I am not sure what I need to do. Do I contact the IRS and OH or do i just let Jackson Hewitt file and amended return?
Sounds to me like Jackson Hewitt is working to rectify the situation.

davew128

Jackson Hewitt cannot file an amended return. YOU can file an amended return prepared by Jackson Hewitt. I have no idea how their internal procedures work but I cannot imagine why they cannot provide you with their work either electronically or through the mail. You should not need to be making multiple trips. And I wouldn't go back there, since that kind of mistake should never have happened.

LdiJ

This doesn't make any sense to me.

Jackson Hewitt would have filed the returns electronically and they would have been rejected by the IRS because the names and socials didn't match. Therefore the problem would have been caught and corrected virtually immediately.

In addition, if they had somehow got sent via paper instead of electronically, again, the IRS would have rejected the returns because the names and socials didn't match. They certainly would not have sent out a refund when there was a name and SSN mismatch.

Therefore something does not add up here.

davew128

This doesn't make any sense to me.

Jackson Hewitt would have filed the returns electronically and they would have been rejected by the IRS because the names and socials didn't match. Therefore the problem would have been caught and corrected virtually immediately.

In addition, if they had somehow got sent via paper instead of electronically, again, the IRS would have rejected the returns because the names and socials didn't match. They certainly would not have sent out a refund when there was a name and SSN mismatch.

Therefore something does not add up here.
I can tell you from personal experience that a paper return with an incorrect social WILL be processed. Years ago I inherited a client who had been using a social with transposed digits on his 1040. You would think I as his new preparer would catch it, right? EXCEPT....he had the same transposition on his W-2.....

LdiJ

I can tell you from personal experience that a paper return with an incorrect social WILL be processed. Years ago I inherited a client who had been using a social with transposed digits on his 1040. You would think I as his new preparer would catch it, right? EXCEPT....he had the same transposition on his W-2.....
I saw several paper returns rejected by the IRS last year for name and social mismatch. I also have seen returns processed like that years ago, but not in the last 10 years or so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">