• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Consequences of a Cancelled Debt:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cana

What is the name of your state? California

Last year, I settled about $2,500 worth of outstanding debts with two Credit Card companies.

What should I file in addition to Form 982?

At the Form 982 it asked me to reduce the capital loss carryover. However, there was no place in Schedule D to enter the $2,500 reduction of my capital loss carryover from the year 2003 and before(totalling about $5,000).

How should I reflect the change? According to a Nolo press book it said I have to complete up to Line 2, showing how much debt settlement amount should be exclded from income, and then stop.

I would like to know what to do next, or how to put the $2,500 to reduce my capital loss carryover (if I have to do so).

KDBRitton

Form 982

Read the instructions for the Form 982, page 3, part II regarding line 7...I dunno..but I didn't get the impression from your post that this was a business debt settlement..seems Form 982 is for business debt discharge?????

Personally....are there any benefits to reporting the reduction in debt? :confused:

cana

Answer:

>I didn't get the impression from your post that this was a business debt settlement..seems Form 982 is for business debt discharge?????

>Personally....are there any benefits to reporting the reduction in debt?

There are no benefits, but I did get the 1099s so I have to report it as income. However, if I file Form 982 I don't have to report it as income. I did find out that it can be used by bankrupt or insolvent people(like me).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">