• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delited

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My question is that my daughter did not file income tax for the last few years because she was in an abusive relationship. She finally separated from this person and with our guidance she filed her income tax for 2005 and 2006. The problem is that she has a child and we found out during the process that he claimed my granddaughter on his income tax even though she did not reside with him and he did not pay child support. She recently received one of the checks but of course it was different amount that what she was entitled to recieve and they have said that they will be sending her a letter requesting information later to explain the difference. What does she need to do to prove that my grnaddaughter lived with her exclusively and she did not give him permission or sign any forms that allowed him to use her as a deduction?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My question is that my daughter did not file income tax for the last few years because she was in an abusive relationship. She finally separated from this person and with our guidance she filed her income tax for 2005 and 2006. The problem is that she has a child and we found out during the process that he claimed my granddaughter on his income tax even though she did not reside with him and he did not pay child support. She recently received one of the checks but of course it was different amount that what she was entitled to recieve and they have said that they will be sending her a letter requesting information later to explain the difference. What does she need to do to prove that my grnaddaughter lived with her exclusively and she did not give him permission or sign any forms that allowed him to use her as a deduction?
Assuming that the letter actually says that the reason why her refund was reduced was due to a duplicate claim for the child, she would need to send them copies of the child's birth certificate proving that she is the mother, medical, daycare, welfare or other records showing the child's address as her address, any lease that included the child as a resident, and any other records she can provide that show that the child lived with her rather than with dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">