• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Delivery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llg871

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) GA

I sent our taxes off by certified mail on April 11 via UPS. As of today, April 15only one has been delivered. Will I be penalized when it is received even though it was mailed on April 11?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I sent our taxes off by certified mail on April 11 via UPS. As of today, April 15only one has been delivered. Will I be penalized when it is received even though it was mailed on April 11?
UPS? Or USPS?

LdiJ

ARG....

If you had sent it by regular mail then the postmark would have controlled.

As a future lesson to anyone reading this thread...the only way that mail should ever be sent to the IRS is via regular mail unless very unusual circumstances exist. Mail to the IRS should never be sent any other way.

davew128

What just a second here. The IRS YEARS AGO decided that private delivery services like UPS (when using expedited delivery) qualified for timely filing/payment purposes. As long as it wasn't ground or 3 day delivery, the OP is fine.

HomeGuru

ARG....

If you had sent it by regular mail then the postmark would have controlled.

As a future lesson to anyone reading this thread...the only way that mail should ever be sent to the IRS is via regular mail unless very unusual circumstances exist. Mail to the IRS should never be sent any other way.
**A: what, that is simply not true. I have used other methods such as carrier pigeon, smoke signal and pony rider to send mail to the IRS.

LdiJ

**A: what, that is simply not true. I have used other methods such as carrier pigeon, smoke signal and pony rider to send mail to the IRS.
Let me explain better. The IRS has its own zip codes and their mail goes straight to basically their own post office on each campus. It doesn't really pass through a regular post off to get delivered to them.

Therefore, if you send something that requires special handling, it has to go a different route, and actually takes longer to reach them and longer to get where it needs to go.

Sometimes there may be something that legitimately needs special handling, but most of the time its better to simply send things regular mail. Faxing something that requires urgent attention is usually better than overnighting it as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">