• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ramsess13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Hi . . .

I'm single household with 30 to 32000.00 yearly income. Can I claim in my 2010 income tax report my 72year-old godfather? He does not have any other income except from his wife who receive SSI benefits. I helped him with some expenses during the 2009 year.
Thanks,
Ely

FlyingRon

You mean the 2009 income tax (the tax return due by April 2010 is the 2009 return it refers to the year being taxed).

Answer is probably not.

First, you may not claim his a dependent if he is filing jointly with a spouse (not you).

Second, he appears to not be a qualifying relative in that he's not related by any of the ways listed, nor does he apparently live in your household.

Third, "some expenses" doesn't sound like the required "more than half" of his total support.

ramsess13

tax dependent

Thank you for your advise...:) I would like to add to my doubt that my godfather was in the hospital for 2 months and I supported him with food, clothing and stuff. And I don't think his wife report him jointly in her income tax report because she does not receive any other income except SSI benefits. Once again, thank you.

ecmst12

That was very nice that you gifted some money to help with his care. But he's not a relative, he doesn't live with you, and you don't even really support him. It's not a deductible expense and he's not your dependent.

ramsess13

tax dependet

:)Thank you very much for your advise...But as you probably know it is a mexican tradition to help and support a godfather or godmother. I thought I could claim him this year.Any other suggestion to include as a claim in my 2009 income tax report I will appreciate. thanks:confused:

FlyingRon

:)Thank you very much for your advise...But as you probably know it is a mexican tradition to help and support a godfather or godmother. I thought I could claim him this year.Any other suggestion to include as a claim in my 2009 income tax report I will appreciate. thanks:confused:
If he lived with you, wasn't filing jointly with his wife, and you provided more than half his support, you could get the exemption.

Nothing precludes you from helping out others, but the IRS has to draw the line on what's deductible somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">