• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax exemption question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

david_eggy

What is the name of your state? NY

Ok, I don't have all the information, so if you need any additional info, just ask and I can probably get the answer. My fraternity is tax exempt. Recently, I have been asked to find a form to give to a food provider because they say they need this form to give to the IRS.

As far as I know, we have never filed any forms with the IRS (140 year old fraternity, so there is room for error on my part here). We have our employer identification number (EIN), but we need something more, some form to give to this food supplier.

Snipes5

Tax exempt organizations often do have to file "informational" type returns.

Without knowing what the provider needs the information for, I have absolutely no idea what to tell you. Please tell us what form they are asking for.

Snipes

anteater

Sales tax exemption certificate (or whatever it is called in New York)?

Would not be for the IRS, though.

Snipes5

If you are exempt from sales tax, you should have one of those.

Tax Exempt status confers exemption from income taxes, not necessarily sales taxes.

If you don't know what you're looking for, perhaps the national headquarters can be of some help to you?

Normally, wholesalers and such are exempt from sales taxes because they are not the end user of the goods.

That would not necessarily apply in your case.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">