• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax exemptions and claiming children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarsweet821

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Okay here is the senerio.....My fiancee and i have lived together sence August of 2004. He has payed for myself and my daughters up keep more than 50% up until Sept of this year. Now i can some what pay for it but he still probly pays for more than 50%. Can he legally claim us on his taxes because we have lived with him for at least 6 months and he pays for more than 50% . I hear very mixed responces on this so i want an actual tax lawyers responce. ( well as long as you know stuff about taxes you can answer or have delt with a similure experiance) I have heard this from people who have spoken with tax lawyers and they say yes but i have heard from H&R block people say no but others at H&R Block People say yes so what is the actual answer.

Last edited:

Snipes5

1) Did all of you live together for the entire year?

2) What was your total income for the year?

3) What was your fiance's total income for the year?

We'll start there.

Snipes

sugarsweet821

Snipes5 said:
1) Did all of you live together for the entire year?

Yes we did all live together. For about a year and a half now.

2) What was your total income for the year?
This year it will be about 2880.

3) What was your fiance's total income for the year?
I am not sure But buy the end of this year i think it will be about 40,000 maybe more. I was not working until August of this and i know he still pays for half of our upkeep.

We'll start there.

Snipes

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">