• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax experts only, please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mace69

New York

In divorce decree, NCP and myself (CP) agreed upon child support amount, and that NCP would be able to claim one child, and CP would claim other. Neither of us were required to sign the child support order, it is only signed by the judge.

NCP has not paid any child support in past 2 years, so in both tax years I claimed both, as I understood is allowable as I provided 100% of their support.

I've just recovered $2000 (of the $8100 owed) from NCP as a result of taking him to court for contempt on the child support order.

My question is, is this $2000 applied to the first arrearages accrued, and he is not credited with paying any support for this tax year, (as this is "back support" an old debt) or is the $2000 applied to the tax year it is received, and therefore, would he be eligible to claim one of the children this tax year as outlined in our court order?

Thank you!!

Snipes5

That is a question for the entity that collected the money for you. It has nothing to do with taxes.

Snipes

mace69

Hi Snipes,

my questions are tax related. Please see IRS tax code below, and my comments...this is from Publication 504. We have both claimed the same dependant in the last 2 tax years, so far the IRS has audited him, and only sent me a notification letter. The have taken the exemption away from him, only based (I think) on the fact that I didn't fill out the 8332 (Release of Claim to Exemption for Child of Divorced or Separated Parents).

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p504/ar02.html#d0e1130

Support test for child of divorced or separated parents:

Noncustodial parent. Under the special rule, the parent who did not have custody, or who had it for the shorter time, is the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent is treated as the parent who provided more than half of the child's support if any one of the following three conditions is met.

1) The custodial parent signs a written declaration that he or she will not claim the exemption for the child, and the noncustodial parent attaches this written declaration to his or her return. Although it states in our support order that NCP is entitled to claim 1 child, I never signed a declaration, only the judge signed our support order & divorce decrees.

2) The custodial parent signed a decree or agreement executed after 1984 that states that the custodial parent will not claim the exemption for the tax year, and the noncustodial parent attaches the appropriate documentation to his or her return. I've never signed anything like this.

3) A decree or agreement executed before 1985 provides that the noncustodial parent is entitled to the exemption, and he or she gave at least $600 for the child's support during the year. This is true unless the pre-1985 decree or agreement was modified after 1984 to specify that this provision will not apply. This was executed after 1985.

I think the NCP is not entitled to make the claim based on any of the above clauses, as they seem to not apply in our situation.

Then this is the other code I found on the topic:

Divorce decree or separation agreement made after 1984:

If your divorce decree or separation agreement was executed after 1984, you do not have to attach Form 8332 or a similar statement if both of the following requirements are met.

1) The decree or agreement states all of the following.

a) The custodial parent will not claim the child as a dependent.

b) The noncustodial parent can claim the child as a dependent without regard to any condition, such as payment of support.

c) The years for which the noncustodial parent can claim the child as a dependent.

2) The noncustodial parent attaches a copy of the following pages of the decree or agreement to his or her tax return for the tax year.

a) The cover page (write the other parent's social security number on this page).

b) The pages that contain the information shown in item (1).

c) The signature page with the other parent's signature and the date of the agreement.

Now, under this code, our support order is vague in regard to items 1a & 1b, the order just states he can claim our younger son, it doesn't say that I can't, and doesn't specify that "NCP can claim without regard to any condition." However, no conditions are listed in our order.

Item 1c is missing altogether in our support order.

Item 2c does not exist, because only the judge signed our support & divorce orders, neither of us were asked to sign anything.

The money I just received was sent by NCP (under duress by judge in a contempt hearing) to NYS CSE, and they cut a check to me...if I understand your post correctly, you think I need to take it up with CSE, on whether the $2000 I received is considered support for tax year 2005, or whether it is back support for 2003, the first year NCP accrued arrearages, and we are still at $0 support for tax year 2003. Well, my experience with CSE is that everyone is clueless about everything, and on their payments website, they just keep a running total of what is owed, and what has been paid, they don't "apply" it to a specific timeframe...so I am not sure they would consider first funds in to be applied to first arrears accrued, or if the first funds received would be applied to the most recent payments owed, and then go backward for previous payments.

As far as IRS tax law/code is concerned, and the appropriateness of CP in claiming or not claiming a dependant exemption in a non-support paying NCP situation, shouldn't there be a consistent approach on the IRS's part when the divorced parents court orders don't specifically spell out the items required by the codes above?

I have no problem with NCP taking an exemption for one child, if he pays the support as ordered...but its been almost 3 years, and this is the first payment I've received. NCP will never make another payment unless he is dragged into court and feels the judge might actually take action if he doesn't dish out some money. Since the 4 prevous hearings, and the $2000 was paid, we are now awaiting a follow-up payment report hearing to ensure he keeps paying...I know at some point the judge will close out the contempt action, if NCP "promises" to continue paying, at which point I am confident he will stop until we go back to court again.

I feel if this is the cycle we must continue to go through, NCP shouldn't be entitled to claim an exemption unless he is caught up for the year on support. However, I know there is likely a difference between what I feel is fair, and how the IRS will interpret it. The IRS code seems incomplete in this area (or I don't know where to look?), and this must happen all the time, with divorced parents both making a claim for the same dependant. If I can take the exemption for 2005, based on NCP's large outstanding arrears, I want to, if it is illegal because NCP did make a payment, I obviously don't want to.

Thank you for anymore information you or others can provide, or places for me to look to see how the IRS handles these situations.

Snipes5

I am well aware of what the tax code says on the subject. The IRS position (at least up until TY2004, is clear). Laws have changed for '05 and many practitioners are waiting for clarification, which probably won't come until May or June 2005.

The IRS position is exactly as stated. NCP cannot claim the exemption without a valid, signed 8332, or a court document equivalent as detailed the tax code, and in your post.

Therefore, if you wish, you can claim the child every year, until the NCP takes you to court and the issue is clarified, or you can go back to court and have it clarified.

Do keep in mind that if the original judge intended that the exemptions be shared, you could be held in comtempt for failing to sign the 8332 to give the NCP the exemption. The courts do not look kindly on people who disregard a decree of this nature just because they "can". I am not implying that you will do this, I am merely pointing it out.

The IRS will not clarify the issue for you, as THEY have no issue., and your question is STILL not a tax question. It is a question for your attorney or the judge who issued the order.

I am also willing to bet that somewhere in the regulations of NY Support Enforcement, there is an explanation of how CS monies are to be applied to arrearages.

In my experience, CS has to be COMPLETELY current for the NCP to claim the exemption, but again, that would depend on the precise wording of your decree.

Snipes

mace69

Thanks Snipes...

I do realize I am taking a chance with losing favor in family court, by choosing to ignore the intent of the court order, but NCP has burned so many bridges with the family court judge, it is a calculated risk.

I do intend to petition the court for a modification at some point to clarify that if NCP isn't current with support, he doesn't get the exemption, but thought I'd let it go another year, and see how things with NCP shape up. I tried to convince my attorney that something like that should have been entered in the original order, and he felt that to push for it would risk disfavor, as we'd be making accusations that the NCP wouldn't pay, before given the chance to do so...he too recomends a modification now that 2 years have gone by and NCP has refused to pay without court intervention.

Thank you for clarifying the IRS's position on this, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't pushing my luck, the extra refund money made a huge difference in our household the last 2 years. I will look into NYS CSE position on how they apply the payments to determine whether I should claim both children again this year.

Im not sure if this helps. I found this on the irs site.

"Back child support. If you fail to pay child support in the year it is due, but pay it in a later year, any payment of the overdue amount is not considered child support either for the year it was due or for the year in which it is paid. It is payment of an amount owed to the custodial parent, but it is not child support provided by you. "

Do you remember how much he owed you at the end of that year?

I am also in NY and trying to figure out if my daughters father could claim the childcare on his return. I have full custody and he hasnt seen her since Jan (which was only 2 days and in which he denies ever seeing her). The way my support order is, its all broken down like basic support then the health insurance than the childcare/babysitting.
He asked the judge in court for her ss#. The judge gave him the ssn cause legally he can have it. Thankfully we werent married so I dont have a divorce decree or etc. My lawyer told me he would have to take me to court to claim her and my lawyer doesnt think he will win.

Im sure people will ask me "why dont you ask your lawyer". Well the reason is I dont want to incurr additional costs it I could find someone else who went through something similar.

Snipes5

I'm happy that you were able to find something on the IRS site that mentions Child Support, but the IRS determination of such is completely irrelevant.

The IRS will treat this as I indicated above, according to the tax code, period.

Your situation is in no way similar to the OP, except that you are in the same state.

There is a reason your attorney and other professionals are paid for our expertise... it's because we actually know something that can prevent you from making a costly mistake.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">